March 14, 2011
2. You take coffee with your sugar, consider any rice-less meal merely a snack, and think fossilized sponge bread is the greatest thing since, well, sliced bread.
3. You lie consistently; you feel no guilt about this.
4. You begin to seriously consider the marriage proposals of cow herders.
5. Sorry, I fell asleep: what was this list about again?
6. You no longer notice the following: flies, garbage heaps, mud puddles, cat calls, bug bites, nudity, public urination.
7. Likewise, the absence of the following is no longer of note: flavor, social tact, entertainment, motivation.
8. You have lost the capability of sarcasm; your humor is (generously) one-dimensional; you laugh when a small child falls off his bike.
9. You just spent four hours on the side the road, counted three cars pass, and felt not the slightest twinge of boredom.
March 11, 2011
March 10, 2011
Maximum number of passengers in...
15 passenger van: 38
5-seater taxi: 14 (adults)
Longest wait for a taxi-brousse: 9 hours
Separate occasions on which I have thrown-up out the window of a taxi-brousse: 12
Pages in a Malagasy/English dictionary: 103
Pages of words beginning with the letter 'M:' 40
Town population: ~10,000
Town population under the age of 15: ~5,000
Children under the age of 15 resident in my four neighboring houses: 16
Consecutive weeks without a drop of rain (dry season): 13
Consecutive weeks without a trip to the water pump (wet season): 10
Students in my 7eme class (5th grade): 63
average age: 13
Students in my 3eme class (9th grade): 46
average age: 19
Separate occasions on which I have been robbed: 4
Books read: 110
Journals filled: 7
Mefloquine taken: 67
Sleepless nights: ~67
Cost of secondhand “Does everything taste fake or is it just me?” shirt at the market:
2,000Ariary = One dollar
Ounces in a THB: ~22
Cost (with bottle return): 1,600Ariary = 80 cents